Cost of Living In Malaysia ….. RM3k income a month.. Is it enough ?
Disclaimer : This is not my rant, just a repost from elsewhere. =)
I’ll try to do some calculations here. In Malaysia the average family income is RM3000 (Father works, mother doesn’t). I understand there are a lot of families whose incomes don’t reach RM3000, but to make things simple, let’s take RM3000 as the figure. Okay, let’s start rolling with a family which has a father, a mother, a daughter, and a son. Ngam-ngam, calculation starts…
- Electricity and water bill RM100 (no air-cond, no home theatre, no water-heater)
- Telekom and Handphone bill RM100 (cannot make a lot of calls one you know? NO Streamyx also)
(Streamyx is probably this country’s only broadband provider, it monopolizes the entire market and rules with an iron fist, however its services are crappy and it is also known as Slowmyx and Screamyx by Malaysians)
- Meal for the whole happy family RM775 (3 meals on RM25/day, RM25 for 4 persons???)
- Papa makan during working hours RM155 (RM5/day, RM5 can eat what?)
- Car repayment RM400 (a Proton Saga Aeroback, 7 years repayment)
- Petrol RM300 Bring son to school, only can afford one car running, no school bus. The public buses are unreliable.
- Insurance for the whole family RM650.
House repayment RM750 (Low cost housing repayment for 30 years, retired still have to work to pay for house! all developers should just give me one for free !)
- Tuition RM80 (got that cheap meh?? No, I don’t think so)
- Children’s pocket money @ school RM20 (RM1/day, my children are too good to eat bread !!)
- School books and etc etc. RM100 (there’ll always be extra to pay for in school)
- Younger children milk powder RM50 (cannot have the DHA, BHA, PHA or any of the high-formulated milk powders because it’s just too expensive!)
- Miscellaneous RM100 (shampoo, rice, sauce, toilet paper)
- Oh wait!!! I have to stop here, so… No Astro (another of Malaysia’s only satelite cable TV provider that rules the country with an iron fist, with equally crappy services and lousy shows), no movie at the cinema, no DVD, no CD, no online, cannot eat KFC, cannot eat McDonald, cannot go to the park for walks during weekend (petrol expensive), no chit-chat on phone with parents/grandparents, etc…
- Let’s use a calculator to total it up… CRAP! RM3610 already! And the sum hasn’t even been deducted by the EPF* and government tax yet!
- The Employees Provident Fund (EPF) is a savings scheme for your retirement. As a member of the Fund, you have the right to ensure that your savings is managed properly and is always safe. For the uninitiated, EPF is also a kitty litter used by the government whenever they see a need to assist the unfortunate very fortunate ones (those worth a big fortune, like billionaires) who have fallen on hard times so that they can continue leading a lifestyle of glamour and luxury (how can you expect them to give up their Bentley for a Proton?!?)
- How to survive lar? Our Deputy Prime Minister ask us to change lifestyle? How to change? Don’t eat? Don’t work? Don’t send children to school and study? Besides that, I believe that there are millions of Malaysians which still don’t earn RM3000 month!
- What is this? Malaysia Boleh? Despite the slogan (a rather lame one) being meant to drive Malaysians to achieve greater heights, we have most often than not turn the meaning the other way around to mean that ‘anything can happen in Malaysia, because despite all that we’re somehow still alive and kicking!
Our politicians must be mad!!!!!!
29 thoughts on “Cost of Living In Malaysia ….. RM3k income a month.. Is it enough ?”
that’s why women need to come out to work nowdays to help to lighten the men’s burden lor…
the fact of we love to bcome carreer woman aka housewife is not that true…it’s the reality makes us one of them.
eh.. never thought you would notice the site.. haha…
hmm.. i think “to share the burden” would be much appropriate.. don’t you think so? =p
very true indeed… it’s the reality that we’re facing and it’s shaping our way of life whether we like it or not…
Then come to Singapore to work! 😛 Stay in JB, come to SG to work in morning! 😛 $1500 can last u veryyyyyyy the long sia. At least here, $2 still can get to eat. =P
haha.. See how things goes first. I still haven’t finish studying yet. But then even if I go over to singapore, i don’t know what i wanna work as. I want to be a technician but i don’t have a IT cert. how leh? =.=”
hahaa..Thats y in moden lifestyle women also need to work…
well, that depends on how you put it. Some work just to get enough money to buy stuffs.. haha =p
Thats why malaysian are always grimacing,full of jealousy and hatred. particularly in the big city.
no offence, but are people that poor? 3K is so freaking little. in a year, their income is 36K without deducting anything, and that’s the cost of my school fees.
maybe they should get better jobs. ;P
well, that depends which country you’re in… in Malaysia, there’s even people who are making less than 1k a month. Price of commodities and daily necessities are rising but I don’t see any raise in salaries… That’s malaysia….
what is written is so true,,, it is best to leave the country… msia is going down… worse than indon in the near future… although what is written is wrong (astro is satelite not cable).. but what is written makes sense… and it is something worth pondering about… i am leaving… most people are leaving..
I actually came here after my dad forwarded me this URL, strangely enough! Great to see Advertlets on your blog 🙂 Quite true what you said in this post…but btw, notice this was written in 2006…the same petrol should cost you around RM506.25 now!!
Thanks for dropping, Josh..
Cost of living is getting higher day by day. The only thing that doesn’t go up is our salary. I’m lucky that I don’t own a car but with the price hike of daily necessities, I don’t even have extra to save by the end of the month. =(
To help ordinary malaysians counter the effects of inflation due to the fuel price hike, we can use this website: [http://www.thepricechat.com/index.php?ci=77]
It tells you where it is cheapest to buy your grocery items. Good for price-conscious ppl!
I want to know what are the total expenses to live in malaysia with 2 adult & 3 children (2 School going & 1 infant)
How much the expected salary of Country Manager in pharmaceutical
If 3500 us$ or 2500 US$ + accomodation in Kuala LUmpur
What is the cost of living in Malaysia with the below facilities?
Rent 2 Bed Room Flat (KL)
If I am looking at 8 K or 11K INR with my family (with 2 adult + 3 children)
what should be my monthly salary?
Actually, with that amount of salary, it is more than enough to raise a family. Provided that you live a simple life with no fancy fancy stuffs everyday. If you enjoy a luxury life, I’m afraid you’ll have to work more =)
what should be my monthly salary for family with 2 adult & 3 children (2 School going & 1 infant) for good living in KL
Can anyone tell me what is the living cost at cyberjaya?
how much is EPF? is this enforced to alien professionals working in malaysia? what happen to this conttribution after the work contract?
Can anyone plz tell me what is the average salary of dental surgeon in Malaysia in Governement Hospital,
If any one know kindly let me know,
i want to know the cost of living in Kaulalampur…for a couple..
how much do u need to spend on average for a rented house, a car,phone,mobile, food, per month…
pls let me know on
Tell me the cost of leaving in Kulalumpur for a small family Husband-Wfie-4.5 Years Daughter . if used all the basic Amenties
Can anyone please tell me the following:
To live near the University Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Johor what might be my (Single person) monthly living cost:
1. Rent a 2/3 Rooms (including dinning) Aparment
2. Food (2 Times Out and One time make at home)
3. Utility Bills including Internet Connection and Cell Phone
4. Commuting cost between UTM and my home (Public Transport)
Please answer me.
Correct your english first before complaining
it’s true…untill now, my salary didn’t reach rm3k..its 2012 now..too much things to pay..im starting a business, but still cant help…
I would also like to know the average cost of leaving in Kulalumpur for a small family. Husband-wife and 2 kids. Kids need average international school May be around 2500 per month school fee..
please add a decent 2 BR flat rent and basic Amenties
i am offered a job in Malaysia of 2000 Rm with Accommodation and Food free, is it worth coming as a single person
im reading this on April 2018. this post is like 12 years ago? 12 years ago to survive with 3k is hard and today some of us still not earn 3k what is wrong with Malaysia.
yeah… 12 years old post haha.. but believe me.. i earned only rm1300 a month back then but i survived. But seriously, even if you earn rm5000 , you will still feel the pinch.